When you change your router’s password, you should turn on the option to reset the password. If you forget your password, you can use this to change it. Once that option is turned on, you can change your password whenever you want if you forget it.
Reset a NETGEAR Router Password You’ve Forgotten
If you have forgotten the password for your NETGEAR router, follow these steps to get it back:
- Start your Internet browser. (Safari Browser doesn’t let you do this)
- Type http://www.routerlogin.net in the address bar. Type http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 as an alternative.
- A window to sign in will show up. Click the button that says “Cancel.”
- If password recovery is turned on, you will be asked to enter the router’s serial number, which you can find on the back of the router.
- Enter the router’s serial number and click Continue.
- The security questions will now be asked of you. Give the right answers to those questions.
- Click on Keep Going.
- You will now be asked to change your router’s password.
- Type in the new password and type it again to make sure.
- You can enter the answers to your security questions or set up new ones.
- Select Next.
- Now, your router’s password will be changed!
You can also do a factory reset on your router, which will reset the password to its default. How to Perform a Factory Reset on a Netgear Router can be read here.